CFRSC safety course
New applicants for a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) must successfully complete the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) and/or Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC) course and exam prior to applying for their licence. Participation in classroom training is mandatory and applicants are no longer eligible to complete a challenge test.
FSESO instructors deliver the CFSC and CRFSC courses and exams in the province of Ontario. These courses are designed to familiarize students with the safe use, handling and storage of firearms and ammunition.
The courses are introductory and cover the basics of firearms safety including, but not limited to:
- Basic firearms safety practices
- Ammunition types and storage
- Operating firearm actions
- Safe handling and carry procedures
- Responsibilities of the firearms owner/user
- Safe storage, display, transportation and handling of firearms